8.17.2009

Today was jam makin day! Hooty mutha frickin hoo. I am beat!
After picking and washing the grapes we then popped their guts out of their skin. Pureed the skin with a bit of sugar.
Cooked the guts and skins with sugar and pectin. A bunch of straining, cooking, adding more sugar. More cooking and straining.

8 hours later we have 6 jars of jam! I'd like to think that I did a lot of the work but aside from picking the grapes and squeezing the skin off my husband did the majority of the job. I am still trying to figure out how this is better than buying a jar of jam....
Grapes- free (more or less if you don't count the amount of water you had to give them)
Organic Sugar- about $5.00 (we tried to not over sugar it)
Pectin- $3.00
Jars and lid- $6.00
Gas on the stove- $? (come on-it was on like all day)
Water for washing EVERYTHING IN THE KITCHEN -$?
Labor- I'd like to think I'm worth at least $10.00 an hour for jam making.....

So our jams works out to be about $15.00 a jar before I mark it up 50% for retail. Fantastic! Anyone want to buy some?

The house smells like Manishevitz.

0 comments:

Blog Archive

Feedback

I would love to know what you think of the recent changes here and also if there are things that you would like to see more or less of.
There was an error in this gadget

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP